Thread: Fire Sale...
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #97
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Good input, guys, many thanks.

So I drove the 2011 4runner limited. Compared to a similar year GX460, it didn't feel slower, despite not having the v8. It actually felt lighter, more grippy and less tippy. It also has the much better rear door.

But and it's a big but, somehow I hadn't minded the GX steering, or perhaps I had even liked the hydraulic feel that is disappearing these days. The 4runner seemed to have very loosey goosey disconnected steering. Like sawing at the wheel. Not sure if any tie rods or ball joints was wrong with that particular one. At 20k miles, I doubt it. Tire pressures were a bit too much, 37psi all around. The test drive was late in the day, on a dark, cold night on unfamiliar roads. I thought it was all right but I didn't really fall in love. Controls, while simple, are very different than all the german machinery I've driven straight for 18 years. I found myself having to turn the dome light on to find and operate secondary controls (something I haven't done since the 996).

Maybe I would like the 2014+ facelift better, but mechanically they should be identical.

I'd be happy to try the 4th gen. There are very few below 100k miles though and they still ask for a lot. Around here, they can be rusty too.

Anything against the 4th gen v8? Simply not necessary?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote