View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #39
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
We can swap Camaro for Boxster for a couple weeks anytime. Just let me know which tires you want on the Camaro. They make a difference.
That might be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Why not make a daily out of the Boxster? Get winter tires and use it almost every day other than the worst storms or on days of carrying large items.

Will a turbo camaro or a done-up e36 be that much better than a 987.2? I don't think so. If you find a zhp too "neutered", 987 is where you want to be.

I don't think it'll cost THAT much to maintain, my porsches have been reliable and reasonable. It's a different thing if you were putting track/race miles on it.
No track / race miles.

The Boxster has been my daily driver. But I have no interest in driving it through salt and snow. It's just in too nice of shape, and I don't want to subject it to that. I got winter tires and wheels the first year I owned the car and quickly decided that just wasn't for me.

I'm starting to realize I'm just not a convertible person. At least not in this climate. For the few days where it's not crazy humid or hot or raining, yeah, it's great. But there are very few days like that around here. Maybe the solution is to move?

And here's the thing, I don't really like driving the car that much with the top up. This was an issue I had with my first Boxster - I loved it when I could drive it top-down. But top-up, the visibility sucks, and you're always reminded you're in a convertible. Wind noise, some creaks and rattles, etc. It's just annoying.

This sounds like I don't like the car. I do like the car. It's a phenomenal car. If I didn't have the race car(s), I'd almost certainly keep it (or turn it into a Cayman) because I'd need something really stimulating to scratch the "fast car" itch. But for the dollar value of the two cars I could have one do-it-all car plus cash to finish the RX-8. That's more appealing than owning a zoomy street car.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote