Thread: S54 E30 M3
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #83
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Getting the shipper to open investigations into stuck packages seems to be working pretty well at getting them unstuck. Not working as well on the buyer end, though.
I'm reminded of one package that went missing after a USPS sort, in a seasonally relevant manner. The shipper really had to press the Post Office to investigate. Apparently my package was one of many packages and pieces of mail loaded onto a trailer for transport to another hub. The USPS employees loaded it before New Year's Eve and when they came back in the new year, it and the other outbound trailers were gone. They reported "all picked up, not our problem".

Somehow the shipper managed to contact the fire department of the town where the sort facility was, and they reported extinguishing a large trailer fire and having the burning trailer moved to a more remote location so it wouldn't ignite other trailers.

Armed with that information, around January 5th the shipper got hold of a manager at the sort facility and asked them to go out and look at the far end of the lot, and the mnanager said he didn't have to, and this explained the burned-out carcass of a trailer out there. Duh.

I wonder how much non-traceable mail was lost in that fire?
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote