View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #1607
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
To me that’s a feature not a bug. When done right (like the volt), you never use gas on a daily commute basis. But then when you need to take longer trips you have the speed and convenience that gas offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree.

Also agree with equ in the context of cars that don't have enough battery power to get through (or nearly through) a normal day.

I asked JST what his normal round trip commute is because I think it's under 13 miles (if it's more, it's not much more). In his use case, that car could work (also assuming it could fully charge each night) well in equ's model (plug in every day, hardly ever having to fill the tank).

My round trip commute is about 33 miles. The car wouldn't work for me in the model since I'd have to plug in every day and put gas in the tank often. The Volt would work well, though. With a 38 mile electric range, I'd only be plugging in every night and skipping the gas station except on very odd occasions and thus provide me the best of both current worlds while also minimizing if not eliminating the worst of them.

There's nothing wrong with PHEVs. Well, certainly much less wrong with them than half-assed implementations or insistence on trying to make square pegs fit round holes.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote