View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #1244
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model ≡ Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ugh, I have a love/hate relationship with CarPlay. When it works, it's pretty nice, but mine only ever worked intermittently in the VW. My other issue with it is that it burns your data to navigate, which is mostly fine if you have an unlimited plan but still seems unnecessary if the car has its own nav.

My BMW, oddly enough, doesn't have CarPlay--and the Tesla doesn't either.

Yeah bmw was late to the CarPlay party.

What year is your m3 again? If it’s a 2017+:
-you can navigate by saying “ navigate to (place name, address, etc” just like the Tesla . It works really well and it’s fast
-for certain phone apps like Spotify as pandora it will automatically launch them and let you control them via idrive via Bluetooth. It works better than CarPlay imo and seems like something Tesla could do .

I really like the hard keys around the idrive controller for navigating around - much prefer it to any touch screen while driving. The only thing a touch screen works better for imo is typing an addrsss manually .

Probably a case of you prefer what you get used to and on my model 3 test drive the all screen interface was less annoying than I anticipated. Agree that a full gauge cluster is overkill for an EV, but would be nice to have nav directions, basic media info and speed info in front of you.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote