View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #35
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Actually, maintenance will be nearly identical to the Porsche. I've averaged $600 per year on the Boxster (its been in for 3 visits in 2.5 years -- one of which was a "major service")...

Tesla requires service inspections at 12 month or 12,500 mile intervals -- and they void the warranty if any are missed (although this may not hold up in many states...). They charge $600 each for these if done from a service center (one is opening in Scottsdale shortly), and $100 more if done by their "ranger" service (they come to you...). Similar coverage to the BMW "free" service (basically all wearable parts like wipers and brakes, except tires are excluded).

They also sell a pre-paid service plan -- 4 year / 50k miles. $1900 at a service center; $2400 for ranger. If you live someplace far from a service center, the ranger plan also includes unlimited ranger visits (which cost $100, even for warranty work without the plan)...

Info here: http://www.teslamotors.com/service
Hmm. That kind of rubs me the wrong way considering how electric cars have fewer wear and tear parts. I understand its a new design so they want to keep close tabs on things but in that case they should include the inspections in the cost of the car.

Didn't understand the BMW comparison so maybe I misunderstood something though? BMW includes the service in the cost of the car including wipers and brakes.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote