View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #56
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Siri has improved in the sense that if you had to compare the two in detail and had to pick a winner.

Siri has become really good for some things like "hey siri, unread messages" and having it speak incoming texts, let you dictate a response that it reads back to you and doing it all without looking at a screen.

For everything else, no.

We run tests in the car between Siri and OK Google. It's like Siri doesn't even show up.

Proclip rocks. More better than anything.

The beauty of CarPlay and the Android equivalent is that they're passthroughs that aren't wedded as closely to the car tech. If they keep being able to connect to the phones, they should improve in the future, unlike the built in stuff.

But with Proclip and such...why bother?

I used to be an advocate for built-ins. Not any more.

Yep- totally get the arguments behind using Carplay or simply mounting your phone. Having used Carplay now in several rental cars, as well as trying various in-car phone mounting options, I've had enough frustrations that I'd still prefer a good built-in unit. Can I deal w/ those frustrations? Sure. Would I prefer not to? Yes. They are tolerable but not good. If I had a special/classic car without modern electronics of course I'd use my phone. Or if I wanted to continue to drive nothing but older fully-depreciated cars, sure. But in a newer daily driver type car I'd rather not.

To me, CarPlay/Android Auto are great in a low-end car or a rental car. Worst case, you'll have key functions projected on a larger in-vehicle screen in a consistent way that you're familiar with. Also great in vehicles with terrible infotainment systems.

Some (most?) built-in systems are (or have been) truly awful. That's why I was so pleasantly surprised by the latest idrive. Does everything I expect quickly/easily. Overall better than using CarPlay. Should CarPlay become amazing over the next few years, it supports that as well. It does NOT support Android Auto, however.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote