View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I think BMW wants it both ways--to still be perceived as the hardcore driver's car and to cash in on luxury car sales. So they make these schizophrenic cars--typically a base model of XYZ type that you can layer performance (and more luxury) onto. But because they are not really purpose-built for performance, there are always too many compromises. And the longevity/build quality falls short.

All of these recent adaptive technologies are meant to create cars that can adjust to multiple driver preferences and therefore please a wider audience. Jack of all trades, master of none indeed.

But are there any cars out there that don't sacrifice something to achieve something else?

My little 2 series could be tighter with less body roll, the steering could have more feedback, it could be a bit more luxurious, as well. Still, it pleases me every time I drive it, and try to forget all the ways it could be incrementally better. That's easier, of course, on warm, sunny days when I can put the top down.

It remains to be seen what the quality will be like going forward. It's about 2 months shy of a year old with--knock on something--no problems. With my BMWs the start usually foretells the future.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote