View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
First car I've driven with a CVT that works the way it's suppoed to work. And it's fucking weird, but once you get used to it you wonder why it hasn't always been like this. And then you wonder why the fuck it comes with shifter paddles.
I bought the new Accord sedan with the CVT this past January. Thanks to an issue with my left hip area, it's first time in a long while that my daily driver doesn't have 3 pedals. My impressions of this transmission seems to mirror yours on the Outback. Weird at first, but once you get used to it, you understand why the carmakers are embracing it. The thing is always in the perfect "gear", and reacting to your right foot is every bit as immediate as any geared transmission I've driven. Between the new 4 cylinder and the CVT, I'm getting ridiculously good mileage for this size car, too.

I have the shift paddles too, and it does seem out of place. Though I do use them pretty regularly to "downshift" in passing-type situations because it seems to react in a less rubber-bandy manner than simply mashing your right foot down.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote