View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #192
clyde
Chief title editor

I can't argue with the more diplomatically worded "are you fucking crazy?" responses, because you're all absolutely right. Except...sigh...

I'm truly worried about getting screwed buying the wrong V8 version. If the 1LE gets moved to FS, I'll be pissed because I want the 1LE, but probably not enough to run it against the Corvettes in AS. And if I buy a non-1LE, I'll always kick myself for not getting a 1LE, even if the 1LE stays buried in another class. Without the 1LE, im not sure if the MRC are a good idea. They may be the best non-custom shocks that will ever be available for the car. Or they may not. And they may not be easily replaceable with something else without putting the car into a limp mode. And do I get the slushie or not? And the 2018 Mustang GT is going to fix a lot of the Mustang's autocross problems.

The turbo four is a lot less risky and looks to probably have a more stable situation for a couple years. The biggest risk to it, I think, is a rule change to allow the LPO options (dealer installed) which changes what you want on the non-1LE Camaros. I think the ones that matter will be retrofittable-able, but need to do more research.

I've been lucky with my Stock/Street purchases. The RX-8 became dominant the season after I bought it when the S2K was moved out. And the FoST has had a nice run that is probably over or will be over after this year.

My need for a dominant car is not like it once was. Or at least I didn't think so. My whole autocross outlook has been undergoing this bizarre recalibration over the past month or so that is still ongoing. Having the "right" car makes things a lot easier.

The other thing is $18k. I mean, new car for $18k? How wrong of an idea could that be? If the classing stuff settles and the turbo four isn't the one to have, it's not like I'd lose my shirt fixing that mistake. KBB (great barometer, I know), says a 2016 no option turbo four with 12k miles will get $18k as a trade. If I keep it three years, how much can it depreciate? If it's 50%, that's only $9k. Even it's 75% that's still only $13.5k.

But it's not a V8, so it's a stupid idea. Except... sigh

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote