Thread: Porsche GTI
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #47
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
It’s obvious that the SUVs and the Panamera are the badge wh0re cars. So they repurpose VAG engines. And mint money.

That written, I love the Macan for what it is. Does all of the things well that are dealbreakers for me in other utility vehicles. Handles okay. Is aerodynamic. Brakes are meh but not terrible. And the engine is okay. 3rd gear might be geared too widely, or the engine has no guts (or both) but accelerating from 65 to 90mph is the one place where I’m reminded it has a very basic engine. I’m sure the Macan S/GTS would solve for that, but it’s not worth the extra $40-50,000 to me. Because. It’s still just a Macan.

Thanks for the link for the boxer engine architecture.
To be fair to the current Panamera, Porsche actually did the engineering for that platform (I think its called MSB or something) and its now shared with Bentley models. The Taycan/etron GT's J1 platform is basically a modified version of this.

I dont think an S needs to cost 40k more than the base. I did notice that pretty much all the Macans on my local dealers lot were base models that stickered above 70k. I just did a quick build of an S online and it came to 75k. https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PPRMIF51

I'm sure there's some silly thing it's missing but at a glance it seems to have all the stuff you'd want in a compact crossover. I think if I could buy a lightly specced Macan S and get maybe a 10% discount off sticker, I'd consider it. Unlikely to happen though since i'm sure it would require a custom order. Residual values are insanely high for the Macan (something like 65% after 3 years/30k) which would also help to keep the TCO reasonable.

They were asking about 65k for an ex service loaner Macan T fwiw (didn't check to see what the original sticker was on it)

And the Macan is elgible for european delivery too...now this has me thinking. lol.

Last edited by robg; 03-27-2023 at 11:28 AM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote