View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #1678
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Ah that makes sense. So it's not like you were paying $10 (or 5 or 15) for each supercharger visit. Is the wholesale $2k cheaper than buying on the spot? Did it stay with your car/VIN?
It was only an option on the early 60s... and was a lifetime enablement with the car, so it stays with the car. All the other early S and X had free supercharging included in the price of the car.

Tesla started moving away from free supercharging about 2 years now. But until last week, you could get it with a referral. That ended over the weekend.

It’s now pay per use for new cars. The rates vary by state, and there are 2 methods used:
- Pay per kWh - some states allow reselling by kWh, and Tesla typically charges around 25 cents per kWh. Adding 100 miles range on a Model 3 should take about 25kWh, so about $6.25. The Model S is less efficient, so would take another 5-8 kWh, so would cost about $7-8.

- Per minute. There are 2 rates - above and below 60kW of Power. 26 cents above and 13 cents below seems to be a common rate, but it can vary a few cents. This is harder to calc since the car charges a lot faster at lower battery levels, but the charge rate tapers down as the battery fills. I took my charging minutes and use the higher rate to estimate — and it still came up a lot less than I paid for the option on the S...