Thread: Gf's commute
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not sure I'd really put an MCS in the "dead reliable" category.

But what about a Jetta/Golf TDi? That would certainly play well on the fuel economy front.

I'd buy a Fit long before I bought a CR-Z. Seems much more useful, more fun, and nearly as efficient. There's a reason those CR-Zs aren't selling.

Mazda3 is a good choice.

Fiesta? The 1.0T is kind of a kooky idea but has more torque than the base engine and the platform is supposed to be great fun to drive.
That's the problem with MCS's. They are ok for milder use, but we really need a lot of trouble-free miles out of this car. She doesn't like how Jetta's look, no go on that. Golf TDI's are quite expensive used, just like the Fit. Those two cars you have to buy new.

If you haven't driven a CR-Z, don't rush to judge. It is definitely more fun to drive than a Fit, we both thought that. It certainly gives up convenience and resale, but those might be ok if it's baked into purchase price (they are much cheaper than Fit's used). They don't sell at $22k but at $14-15k slightly used it's a different proposition. Why would you think a Fit is more fun to drive?

Mazda3 is not a bad idea, I was thinking of them all along, I'm not sure why they dropped out of the running.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote