Thread: Gf's commute
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Gf's commute

is 75 miles roundtrip and it is getting hard to stay on top of the e39, we are at 118k miles now. There are a few new squeaks and rattles, etc. Choices (these incorporate her likes/dislikes):

1. Stay course, do nothing, keep (but now that I'm quite busy again, it's a PITA for me to take care of). Each sound/diagnosis visit means calling around indies - that I have to do - and perhaps two cars traveling together to drop off etc, etc.

2. Honda CR-Z. We test drove one. They were ridiculously overpriced when new (MSRP of $22k) but now at the used prices (low to mid-teens for a lightly used one), not bad at all.

Pros: great drive feel, excellent steering, suspension, seats, short size makes it easy to street park, awesome mileage (real world indicates 38mpg combined on regular - higher than EPA). It's a Honda! Truedelta indicates incredible, Fit-like reliability, even with the nonsense hybrid additions.

Cons: stupid TPMS system makes two sets of wheels/ very difficult (special tool and air down/up procedure required to reset - even after buying two sets of sensors otherwise linked to VSA ). TWO SEATER, this is kind of a big deal. Also SLOW-ish (might not be as big a deal for her).

3. MCS? The base coop is much more in line with the crz in terms of positioning but I remember its engine as unpleasant/thrashy, perhaps a retest is in order. MCS only seems to get around 30-32mpg on premium in the real world, so the fuel cost difference between it and the Honda could end up significant after a few years (at 18k miles/year). That is on top of the higher price of entry.

Pros: more of a real car, faster, better brakes, BACKSEAT!
Cons: price, worse ride, RFT's/no-spare, more MINI/bmw repair headaches/fuss, do not look good at all in Truedelta reliability surveys

Cars she thought of: Veloster, 500, perhaps Abarth... Fiat was quickly ruled out. We don't need a cute car for 6000 or even 10000 miles/year. We need a workhorse for 18000 miles/year and it needs to be dead reliable. Fit's would be of interest but again a bit slow, not that sporty and insanely expensive on the used market.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote