View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #23
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I use the one in the Tesla constantly, because it’s so easy to enter addresses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Easier than waze?

Which also notifies you of police.

And does traffic-aware routing.

And remembers your recent addresses even if you hop into another car.

And..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes easier than Waze, plus the screen is huge, and it has traffic aware routing.

The police thing has never really struck me as being complete enough to rely on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
My experience is 75% of Waze police reports either already have someone pulled over or are no longer there. My Passport Max radar detector is much better at alerting me to real threats.
I agree with JST… I use the nav in the Tesla for pretty much any trip more than a couple miles.
- Big screen
- Easy to enter destinations via Google search (either type or voice). it has home and work saved so are just 2 taps of the screen to select. I use voice search for most other locations -- just tap the voice button and say "Drive to X" and it does the google search -- if one place nearby it routes automatically, if multiple, it brings up a list of matches and you tap the one to go to
- Traffic-aware routing, and it will re-route on the fly based on a setting for how much time is saved (I have my car set to 5 min)…
- Traffic status (red/yellow/green lines) on the map

My only gripes are:
- Doesn't show accidents on the map. You could argue that "red" is enough to determine, but I find the red due just to rush hour usually isn't as bad as red due to an accident, where an alternate route would be better
- Sometimes the traffic updates happen slow -- so it will route you one way when you tell it, but in reality another route will be faster. It then corrects a couple min later. I didn't notice this until I moved -- I have 2 primary routes home from work now. The more direct route (~22 miles) often has very heavy traffic for about half my drive home. The longer route (~29) miles is usually clear or only has 1-3 miles of slowing traffic. The Tesla almost always routes me via the shorter route, even though the longer route can be 10-20 minutes faster. It usually corrects by the time I'm out of the garage at work though.

There are a couple of Waze viewers that are optimized for the Tesla web browser -- so I sometimes keep one of them on the bottom screen to get accident and police info. One of them also displays weather info (wind speed/direction and an overlay of weather radar), which is helpful on road trips (since headwinds result in more energy use). This is the one I use: https://teslawaze.azurewebsites.net

And I agree that most of the time the police alerts are mostly outdated. But I still find them helpful on road trips -- I don't usually drive more than 5 over the limit, but I'll just make sure I have a decoy deployed (ie someone who passes me…) for a few miles around a police icon