View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #835
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
What I continue having a problem with is that manufacturers have unleashed these technologies upon all of us and marketed the hell out of them without adequate testing proving they're safe (or even "safe enough"), nor being transparent about what they know about how safe they are or aren't...and then hide behind "it's beta" and "the driver wasn't using it as intended" meaning "they didn't follow all the beta instructions and disclaimers and instead acted as any reasonable person might and/or bought into our ghastly hyperbolic marketing hype."
I made this argument to someone at work and they replied with ,"If they're going to release something that isn't ready, it's good to call it Beta so people know, right?"

Tesla also has a "shadow" mode for certain features... (I think only emergency accident avoidance for now?). I believe they're attempting to collect data (without taking action) to approximate

a) how many accidents they believe they would have avoided by taking action when the human didn't
b) how many times they would have taken action that proved to be unnecessary (because the human didn't and all was fine)

I can see these numbers being manipulated easily, but that aside I do like the approach.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote