Thread: Macan Turbo
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I completely agree, John. I feel quite strange in a crossover, never expected to own one. Where are the fun to drive, long trip comfortable wagons with AWD that is not front-biased? I don't see any. Height does have a snow/ice advantage. I've paid for (or ignored) enough damage over the years.

I wasn't looking for something fast. I actually would have been happy with the v6 diesel engine in it. Was shopping for the Cayenne diesel, but the handling left me wondering... Among the Macans, the turbo had the best low end torque, most complete equipment, best engine sound and generally luxurious feel. So I ended up with something quite fast.

If I undid this purchase, I'd still be shopping for a Cayenne diesel or an f-pace. I didn't have unlimited time, so only drove the 4-cylinder f-pace. It is better in terms of length and weight distribution. But there are many things the Macan is better at. Porsche-ness, that feel of solidity, cabin details also snow grip (it turns out the f-pace does struggle a bit though in a good overly rwd way). But then you're in a jag with unknown depreciation even if I was going to overlook expected reliability. It is the "simpler" vehicle though.

I tend to agree with John on this. But I got a Macan S as a loaner a month ago. It was fine. Seemed like a tall GTI to me. I still prefer the handling of the Cayenne.

That car was much slower than I thought though was the only drawback.

I expect this is solved with the Turbo engine. That likely makes it actually fun to drive.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote