View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #28
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I'm still failing here.

Short version: Bedding with race pads took the rotors from awful (shaking the front end to pieces while braking) to very good. But it's not right, it's getting worse again, and I'm cranky. I'm now avoiding driving the car because the brakes are annoying.

Long version

Here's exactly what has taken place:
  1. I put on Hawk race pads on for a week (no bedding), screeching everywhere I went, with Dave Z's theory that it scrapes a layer off your rotors.
  2. Bed rotors with the Hawk pads, making sure to literally never touch the brakes afterward - even coming to a full stop in my driveway.
  3. Next day, swapped on Textar pads and bed again. Same procedure. The brakes were f*cking hot.
  4. Next day I evaluated them and I'd say it was 95% better. Braking under 60 MPH felt pulse free. Hard braking from 80 you could still feel a pulse. From 100 it was very noticible - a subtle, high speed pulse.
  5. I repeated the bedding with the Textar pads. I saw no real improvement.
  6. It's now been a couple weeks since the above, and as expected the pulsing is slowly getting worse. I can now hear and feel it at braking under 60MPH.

Unless someone has a better idea, I'm going to try the following things in this order
  1. Try a series of 3 bedding sessions with the Textar pads, and see if that helps.
  2. I guess I'll try another set of new rotors, maybe a different brand? Slotted like Terry Recommended?
  3. Give up, push the car into the lake and buy something new.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote