View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #1437
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
End-of-quarter deliveries with Tesla have a horrible reputation.

They should be able fix it... Ours was also an end-of-quarter delivery and there were several cosmetic assembly issues (carpets not tucked in correctly in 3 places for example), a misaligned trim piece on one door (turned out to be they installed the left-hand side part on the right side -- so replacing the part was all that was needed), a bad seat belt sensor in the rear (would warn that it was unbuckled when the rear seat was folded), and the rear hatch close button would only register a press about 1/3 of the time. All of those have been fixed, but the car is now in the body shop for paint repairs to fix a bunch of imperfections in the paint (including 2 that were marked but not repaired before it left the factory!).

Tesla really needs to get their initial quality up -- this kind of stuff can ruin their reputation... Its getting worse -- all 3 of ours have had some issues at delivery. The S and 3 only had 2-3 minor issues at delivery, but were not quarter-end deliveries. The Y had a bunch -- if we hadn't been moving in a few weeks, we probably would have refused delivery...

But... None of these have impacted long-term reliability on any of the cars so far. The 3 is holding up real well -- with the only warranty service items on it in the last 2 years and 17k miles being a broken trim clip in the trunk that took a whopping 5 min to fix, and a minor misalignment of one of the door handles (it was no longer flush with the body)...
She would be loving the car were it not for the (so far) cosmetic issues. It really does mar the overall owner experience. Maybe she can live with it. I'd return it. And I am cooled to buying one in the future.

Her car has multiple misaligned panels, and bad seams in the interior carpet. Those were the obvious flaws in the 5 minute walk around I did.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote