View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #1417
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Probably not. And certainly not in colder weather.

I've never driven a Model S LR, so take my answer with a grain of salt. But cruising at 90 burns a lot of watts, and hills can hurt, too. And cold weather/rain takes a toll, as well.

Do you really drive 290 miles without stopping? You've got more endurance than I do.
Thanks JST. That was my assumption based on your comments from before.

RE: the drive
Yep, we have it down to a science where when everything works out just right we can make it in 4hrs on the nose. 3:45 was our best performance. Being disciplined to 4hrs lets us leave at 4ish on a friday, get up there for dinner or some summertime sunlight/fishing and have a nice evening. Sunday we can leave around 2pm and be home in time to get everything buttoned up for the next week without killing ourselves.

The drive itself is relatively painless. Up the PA Turnpike NE Extension to 81 to Binghamton, and then west on 17/86. Straight shot, just long. The 270 mile version has a stretch on rt 11 through central PA with some stop & go. That can be a little more painful.

@WDC, Totally agree re: plug in hybrids It would be great to have something that could do 100% e for normal commuting w/ 50 - 100 miles of daily range + a gas engine for a total of 400+ miles range.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote