View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #1411
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Great!

Here's a couple thoughts on charging setup. We just had a Tesla wall charger installed at the new house a couple weeks ago.

As JST says, its best to go with 240V. I charged at 120V in Ohio for 3 years and it worked, but it is slow (3-5 miles of range added per hour of charge). I basically always had the car plugged in when at home. On all but the coldest days, I’d charge enough overnight to cover my commute, and any other drives would catch up with charging on the weekends.

In AZ, we had a 14-50 outlet installed in the garage - cost was a bit over $500, but it could be more if the breaker panel is further away (ours was just a couple feet away). This allows 240V charging with the mobile connector that comes with the car (note - tesla no longer includes the 14-50 adapter, but the service center should have one for $20-25). This will add 29 miles of range per hour for a Model Y.

Since we now have 2 Tesla’s, we decided to go with a wall charger in TX. The wall charger itself costs $500 from Tesla, then the electrician needed to come out and install. The one we used (listed on Tesla’s site and lots of good comments over on the TMC forums), charged $530 for the 60A breaker and 13 foot of wiring in conduit to where we wanted the charger (panel is in one of our garages here...). This charges both the 3 and Y at 44 miles per hour. One note is that Tesla has been frequently out of stock on wall chargers recently — I waited to order until after we were in the house, and it took 6 weeks before I was able to get one (and then they were back out of stock a few hours later)...
Thank you for this! She’s ordered a Tesla charger (I think she nabbed one, because, yes, they’ve been sold out). I reminded her that we had a 14/30 outlet installed for the portable generator. It’s some distance away from the garage at the back porch, but she has a long extension cord that could work, if she has the 14/30 adapter (also sold out lately). I think, given the fact, that she doesn’t need to drive much these days and has the ICE Porsche, she will try to fast charge until her charger arrives and can be installed.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote