View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Well the $200 pure bullshit charge looks like the doc fee I assume. But if that is in addition to the doc fee, then wow.

As for LoJack? Wow, that brings back memories. In 2008 just as sales were taking off, our LoJack rep convinced my GM that we should do "LoJack preinstalls" which meant we would have them install it on every new car as part of new car prep. In exchange, we got a sweet price per install. I reluctantly gave in except I gave myself 2 "outs"-- I'd only preinstall on stock units, not sold orders, and any unsold units would be charged back to F&I rather than to the cost of the car. At the time MINIs were in VERY short supply and high demand, so fortunately for me it only lasted 2-3 months as we were soon selling out of all of our allocation for customer orders and we had few cars actually coming in as stock units. That and the F&I manager got tired of eating the cost when I was giving it away (I didn't care since it was coming out of my pocket either way, but I wanted the F&I guy to pay instead of the salespeople because the GM would respond quicker to his bitching).

I don't recall the exact number, but I think our cost was in the $175 range for preinstalls. So they're making a killing on it.