View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Motorcycle case fail - a Manhattan Story

Unseasonably warm temps brought out everybody and their brother the last couple of days. I had a good friend visiting from California, so went out as well. I motored into the city just fine (have a new CTEK 4.3 to properly charge the batteries now and I went through all the bikes). Remembered to soften the suspension for the cratered streets... I thought that might be enough. Well, not quite.

We were on the East Side, and while heading home, at around 10pm, stopped on the corner of 3rd & 49th to put in a nylon windblock layer, temps dropping and some drizzle. One or two blocks later, at Lexington, I hit a mongo pothole (while getting past multitudes of garbage trucks). The bike felt fine but the clang sound wasn't normal. Buzzing past dump trucks, I kept on and then heard the honking. Within a block, at Park Ave, I stopped and noticed my rear top case was no longer on the bike. Parked, hand waved thanked dump truck driver who seemed to be saying something inaudible and walked back to the pothole.

Nothing. In one hot minute, with nearly no one on the street, the case was gone. I walked back and forth twice (the case is $500+$70 pad+keying the lock+contents: extra helmet+a favorite lambswool layer sweater). Almost felt like Manhattan was back to its fine 90's form. A whole 28L case just vanished in moments, on a quiet dark street. I circled back with the bike. No luck.

equ is offline   Reply With Quote