View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #46
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I've never had a problem with lights and Rain-X. Are you saying it causes more glare, or something else?

When they stop the wipers and go under the green traffic light around the 20 second mark, you can see what bugs me. As you pass under the light, the point of light is refracted through the drops on the windshield. It's not exactly glare as much as what is effectively a huge number of individual lights.

A perfectly timed wiper pass can occasionally work, but the combination of vehicle speed, volume of fresh raindrops, and wiper pass speed have to be a perfect combination...and even then, the wiper/vehicle/airflow/rain volume/wiper pass time duration make it impossible to clear the windshield for a lighting event.

Worst case is usually heavy drizzle/light rain in suburban neighborhoods on sidestreets. You're in the affected range of the light for a long time and if you use the wipers, there are as many drops per square inch two inches behind the wiper blades as immediately in front making the wipers worthless.

When you're not nearly underneath the lights, it's like the water isn't even there.

When you're moving fast enough or the rain is heavy enough that drops aren't clinging to the surface, it's not so bad.

It can also be a factor during the day, but polarized sunglasses nearly eliminates it as an issue.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote