View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #43
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
When washing the car, I could see it was much different (and better) as soon as the water started hitting it. While actually washing it, it felt different. It was easier to move the wash mitt. It was also weird in that the sudsy water wanted to let gravity have its way with it to a much greater degree.

Where it was really clear that something different was going on was drying the car. After rinsing, there was much less water remaining on the car. Maybe only 70% as much water?

My next drying step is to use a leaf blower to blow off as much as the remaining water as possible. That was where it was REALLY different. At the end of the blow drying stage, there was only 25% as much water left. Maybe even less. It also took less time.

After the leaf blower, I use a super absorbent large microfiber towel to dry the little remaining drops so they don't dry on the car and leave water spots. With a lot less drops to get to, I can cover the whole car faster which means fewer of what drops are there have an opportunity to dry on the surface.

The last step is to use a big waffleweave microfiber to dry off the glass surfaces, door jambs, trunk and hood area, and nooks and crannies that always seem to continue leaking water for hours. This stage took just as much time as the others. If I add the coating to some of those areas and apply a good coating on the glass, I think that will take less time and effort, but won't do anything about the never ending dripping.

The next question is how long will it last? If it's good for long enough, I think it may be worth the extra effort to apply. If I modify my application process a bit (leaving more clean up until the whole car is done), it would be a major shift towards being pro-PNS.
Second wash with Sonax PNS was yesterday. Car wasn't dirty, but had a bit of pollen and, as of yesterday morning, some noticeable dust (that I assume was from the previous day's drilling in the garage and I wanted to remove before giving it a chance to bond). It had been about 10 days and 150 miles since the first wash (140 of the miles from a round trip to Summit Point a week earlier).

I'd have to ditto everything from the first wash. I'd also add that there were very few visible bug splats on the front of the car pre-wash and post wash, it was impossible to see where they had been.

This wash also pointed out the need to get a decent coating of something on the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
For reference, here is the beading from the wagon roof with Zaino zfx. My opinion: much easier than even sonax. Spritz in the general location of a body panel, smear around and let dry. For a super shine, hit it with some detail spray to blend off the excess.

This is on a dirty surface after about 2wks, 500 miles and 2 days outside. I just took it at the lake house after a 250 mile drive in rain/snow mix.

I put it on all surfaces. Eliminates the need for wipers above 70mph.
Looks pretty nice (I missed this post earlier).

I've been running Rain-X washer fluid since the first time I had to add to the Foucs ST. This seems to be much more effective than a traditional application of regular Rain-X and since you keep reapplying with every washer activation, it never has a chance to wear off like regular Rain-X and get streaky. 35-45 mph is also usually fast enough to make the wipers unnecessary during the day and totally unnecessary at night (except when traveling under lights at low speed). The regular reapplications may also help coat the wiper blades which helps keep them from ever chattering even after they're old and wearing out.

Rain-X doesn't really seem to help a lot with bugs. I'm also curious to see if any of the other coatings may help minimize the "under lights at night" that is so bad with Rain-X.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote