Thread: Oscar
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The only thing I'll comment on regarding space for course is on your magenta outline, you went right up to the edge of the pavement on the washington circuit but you pulled back 50' from the curbs at FedEx. Realistically we shouldn't be running course that close to the grass (particularly near the hill) at Summit. And even if the entirety of that circuit was paved that would remain true. So the usable space at Summit is much smaller. And as you noted, the shape doesn't allow for much variety.
I probably should left some buffer on the Summit map, but we're going to be a lot closer to the edges there on a regular basis compared to the closest we ever got to the curbs at FedEx. The three main skidpads at Summit are only 50' wide.

But that's another item worth mentioning. Things happened at FedEx over the years, but they were rare. Off-pavement excursions at Summit will not be.

Quote:
Regarding Oscar, it's possible you never got heat into the tires or they're old enough that they're no good.
Why not both? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I wasn't able to get any heat at all in the RX-8's tires at the test event two weeks ago... because they were used at 2019 Nationals and stored since then, and had apparently gone off. For reference the BMW would regularly generate steady-state readings of 1.3 g on the Racecapture. The RX-8 saw around 1.4 in Lincoln in 2019 but it wasn't exactly working well.
Was it fully dry when you ran two weeks ago? I wasn't there, but it sounded like ti was wet in the morning, dried out a bit, but maybe not completely before it opened up again right after the event?

Sunday, it was sunny and dry when we ran, just starting to get cloudy as we finished our heat. Kevin and I saw a few peaks of 1.2, barely touching 1.3. Through much of the course, Kevin was consistently pulling about 0.05-0.07 more than I was. For each of us around the far skidpad, we were barely over 1.0 sustained and it felt slick. The data more or less confirmed seat of the pants feel.

I know that tires, surface and me were all factors, I just don't know how much of a role each one played relative to the others. Not sure if we will be on stickers in two weeks or if we're saving them for NJ.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote