Thread: Oscar
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So, are you splitting the season driving a Miata and the Camaro?
Yes. We're not 100% sure how many events Kevin can do (new job, virus, etc), there are a couple non-SCCA events I may do. If Oscar is ever not event capable.

Quote:
I saw the NCC BMW guys were running at Summit, too; I guess that's the only place left around here? I debated signing up but...eh, that's a long way to drive if I'm not actually going to be able to go on the track.
The former SPK site at Summit is about the only place available right now and there's an event on that pad almost every weekend day all summer. The site really isn't suitable. Paddock is not adequate, there's not nearly enough grid space and the pad is what it is (complete with residual peanut oil deposits from drift events). The ownership seems really psyched to have us there and they've made a lot of promises about future/ongoing improvements. So far, they've done what they've said they'll do. If they continue, it's possible the site could be a lot better in a year or two.

The one good thing is that the event was much more relaxed than WDCR FedEx events in its heyday. Fewer people and COVID allows a much more relaxed pace. However, one of the things I heard some committee people talking about yesterday was how does WDCR/SCCA differentiate compared to the other clubs? When we had FedEx, we had huge events with top talent and amazing courses on a first class site. Now...

FedEx was about 25-30 minutes of Beltway for me. Not a problem in the morning, but often kinda shitty on the way home. Summit is about 80 minutes away. The drive there is nice and quiet. Coming back could be hit or miss. If I was in Virginia, I'd consider events at Dominion (and we may do some there, too).

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote