View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Did you look at my Boxster when you were in Maryland a couple years ago? The clearbra on that is about six years old and still looks fantastic. The only places were it's not great are at the openings in the front bumper. Some of the edges have pulled up a little bit and have gotten dirty. The solution is to just trim it back to remove the dirty edge. I did that install myself and I'm not an experienced installer by any means... the only reason those edges lifted is I suck at installing and didn't get the right stretch to the film around the openings. Tight radii are still a bitch when it comes to film adhesion. I did a light machine polish on the whole car a couple months ago when I did the Gyeon ceramic application and I was amazed at how well the film took a shine. It's not discolored or cloudy in the slightest.

The stuff I used was the first iteration of the "self-healing" film and it's done a great job. I also have it on the Mazdaspeed (though that was a professional installation). It's five years old and looks great.

The Boxster is garaged when at home. The Mazdaspeed lives outside. For a car that stays garaged, you should certainly be able to get, well, more than six years out of an install. The pre-~2011, 2012 stuff? Not nearly as long-lived. edit: Obviously if the car takes any big stone hits that completely break through the film, you're going to see it.

The only "add-ons" I wish I had done were the rear wheel arches, the edge that is exposed to road debris being thrown up by the tire. I regret not doing that on the Boxster.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote