View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Veloster? Fiat? Scion tC? Wait for Toyobaru? Mustang V6? Genesis coupe?
I'm going to drive the Veloster, but wasn't really impressed when I looked at it on the showroom floor. It's just a Kia Forte with crazy styling. I'd need the Abarth version of the Fiat and I'm just not sure I could justify that, I'm thinking about the Scion, but the older design leaves them lagging in MPG, Mustang isn't the most practical winter car; I already have the Motorcycle I ride when the roads aren't frozen. Genesis coupe is a little pricey I thought, but I haven't really looked at it. I was trying to stick with things that had a practical rear seat. I might sacrifice that need for a MINI though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Toyobaru mileage is supposed to suck. I think they're predicting 19/27? Miserable for a light, four cylinder car.
This^
I really like Subaru's; but the MPG is crap. In fact there seems to be a bit of a technology gap that some manufacturers have made and other's haven't. The clear example is Mazda, the 3 is essentially the same car, but they spent a bunch of time on the engine and transmission and went from low 30's to 40 mpg highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I second the Golf TDI. I looked at and drove one a few months back and loved it. For me it would be a perfect commuter up here in Chicago. The only issue for me was the cost. The sticker price gets up there quick when you add the good stuff on.

I would take a look at the Honda Fit Sport also. Drive one and you might be surprised at how go cart like it is. It's also got a great amount of utility in it.
I was really impressed with the Golf TDI base model I tested. The only options I would really want would be xenon and their comfort access equivalent. You can't get either independently, so I'd just live without those and get the base model.

The fit's MPG was a lot lower than I was expecting, and the local dealer is known to be crap. I went to test drive one and was in the showroom for 20 minutes without anyone checking on me. I then went to find a salesman and it was like pulling teeth. This was odd since I was the only customer in the showroom.