View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yikes.

Well fortunately my car is four years old, used only occasionally, and stored outside, so I am sure I won't have any battery issues in the near future.
That doesn't hurt LiIon as much as it would hurt lead acid/AGM. I investigated LiIon for my larger bikes. They are stored indoors, but unheated, used infrequently in the cold and with no easy plug. The LiIon's - for motorcycles - are great for that, except they have trouble starting those big v-twin pistons in the cold. The battery itself doesn't degrade, with motorcycle size constraints, it just doesn't work as well as stock AGM so I stuck with that come replacement time. Perhaps that is why the bmw LiIon is so costly; that it has the CCA, the Ah and the LiIon technology. On the bikes, the LiIon is not as expensive (1.5 or 2x of AGM) but you give up some functionality.

For now, I try to run them at least every two weeks (really the KTM, as the 4-cyl kawasaki seems to be an easier starter). If we hit a long snowy spell, I'll pull the batteries and carry them into my basement to be plugged in.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote