Thread: ID this car
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
July to september, they raised $39mm. That's a lot of money to mildly annoy Trump. And I really question whether or not anyone who wasn't already vehemently opposed to Trump cares about them.
My dad, who is quite socially liberal but would have been a moderate Republican in more normal times, finds their message very appealing. I suspect there are a lot of moderate Republicans and folks who consider themselves independents that find TLPs message and overall positioning to be very consistent with their own.

And just by existing and being so forceful, TLP gives ideological top cover to people who might otherwise struggle to cross party lines. They are blazing a path that a lot of people can follow.

It's easy to be cynical about them, but you typically don't win an election in the US without being able to motivate a coalition (something that I hope remains true in 2020). TLP is part of that coalition. And while $39m is a lot, I'm not actually sure it would have been better directed elsewhere.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote