View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #33
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I am a big fan of owning a large vehicle and a smaller one. It doesn't sound like your home or life would benefit frequently from owning a truck, but I've thoroughly enjoyed mine to the point where I've owned it longer than any other vehicle in my history. It's nice to have a "dirty" cargo area.

Other alternative: Two weeks ago I rented a Caravan when we had family visiting from Korea. I was a little annoyed that I couldn't find one with a second-row bench, as I would really have liked the ability to haul eight people as opposed to seven, but otherwise I was impressed. Plenty of space for passengers, reasonable cargo area (although, logically/ironically, the more people you carry, the less space you have for their stuff), reasonable dynamics. I'd look at the Pacifica though.

Finally, the SUV/crossover solution. I like the Tahoe/Suburban but it may be overkill if you don't intend to use it much. Vehicles that slot one tier lower in size have evolved into solid choices all around -- unibody construction, comfortable enough for daily use, big enough for the average family to go wherever they need. I'm thinking Explorer-ish vehicles. If you can get over the abject anti-hipness of owning a (gasp) SUV, you might find them to be perfect for what you want.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote