View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
When will the used car market peak?

With all the used car market talk, I’ve been casually tracking the various sites for numbers on our 340 over past few months. Value is fluctuating a bit but generally ~2k below what we paid. Strong, but not enough to push me to sell.

Out of curiosity I started trying the X5 too. We’re currently half way through lease and love the car but hard to not window shop with all this craziness. CarMax won’t give me a $$ online, Carvana says “we’ll get back to you” but never does, but have been getting numbers from Vroom. A month ago it was at lease payoff (not bad) and last week it jumped to $4k equity (nice!). However after seeing what used ones are listed for, felt like there was still some money on the table. I just tried KBB instant offer and came back with $9k equity (!!!). I’ve never seen this on a zero-down BMW lease half way through. Is this as good as it gets? Or do things get even crazier if supply chains are still screwed up for several more months and thin inventory gets even thinner?

(Of course the problem becomes - hard to replace it as deals on a new one are shit right now)