Thread: Inspection woes
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #23
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
What I'm saying is canned tunes typically hurt driveability for some amount of increase in WOT power. I'm speaking of street applications here.
I get what you're saying and I'm saying that neither the APR-low on the GTI nor the MHD Stage 1 on the n55 f10 535i have diminished drivability. If they had, to me or to C., we would have removed them. They may be far from optimal power/reliability, that's a different matter. The GTI came to us at 4k miles with APR-high. We detuned from that to APR-low as it felt over-boosted and the torque curve felt unnatural. Shop said we were their first customer that partially detuned to gain what we think of as drivability.

I realize that with pros like you and Nick, I cannot have the last word. You guys are right and seem to know the "drivability" of my cars better than me I guess.

On a humorous note, the "drivability" of the stock f10 535i is quite bad to begin with. It excels on highway steady state, but throttle transitions are laggy and idle is weak and lumpy at times. It's magically more efficient than the e90 n55 xdrive I owned, but that engine with the same 6MT had better throttle response if I remember correctly.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote