Thread: Outback out
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It will eventually register a misfire code if it's idling that badly. It should have stored codes in it (CEL came on) even though you disconnected the battery. I'm not understanding why it doesn't.

It sounds like a bad crank sensor to me. Bad cam sensors will usually cause hard starting but once the engine figures out where TDC is it should ignore the cam sensor for the most part.

Drive it around until it throws a code. It might take ten miles or so.

Odd similar story. When I was working on Matt's 330i, the first drive after I had done all the work on it went fairly badly. It had a bad misfire, and it wouldn't throw a code. I pulled all the plugs and they looked fine. I pulled all the coil packs and they looked fine and ohmed out okay. Eventually it threw a CEL for cylinder 4 misfiring but I had to drive it for 5-6 miles. It turned out that hole had a bad spark plug (brand new!), the ceramic insulator had a tiny hairline crack in it.
The point of taking it to shop was to get it fixed quick. If I knew they wouldn't have it diagnosed by COB, I would have kept it and bought a crank position sensor and (based on above reminding me it's time for plugs anyway,) new plugs this evening and seen if that worked. If not, tried whatever else simple I could do over weekend and tow it Monday if it still wasn't working.

Now she's getting worried about what she's going to do Monday with a bunch of places she needs to drive to. Hmm, I have the fuel pump I think the Miata needs. It's only been sitting for five years. It couldn't possibly need anything else, could it?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote