View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #36
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The 3 Performance is, IMHO, one of the greatest performance bargains out there, but it's still nearly 2X the cost of a GTI, so I'm not actually suggesting you do that instead of the GTI. Your mention of the 50-70 passing time just triggered my memory of that CD article.

As for space...you'd be surprised. The Model 3 has a deceptively huge cargo capacity. As an example, I could take both kids, my wife, and two full size steamer trunks to camp in the Model 3, with some room to spare--there's no way that load could have fit into the Golf or even the BMW.

It doesn't have a hatch, so if you're looking to carry big, awkwardly shaped things it's not ideal. But the combination of a wide, deep trunk and the frunk mean it carries way more than anything in the same size class.

The Golf that I had didn't have a huge amount of cargo room. I've read that the Rs lose a few inches in vertical height b/c of the AWD system, but I haven't looked into the hatch of a GTI recently. Certainly plenty to be usable, but packing the Golf for a trip for four people was always a challenge in a way that it never was with the Tesla.
Not interested in having to fit 4 humans + cargo. That's what the LR4 is for. More like 3 humans plus gear. Or 3 humans plus large dog at the most.

I should probably check out a 3 one of these days.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote