View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #35
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm sure they are great. But they are also much more $$$. My plan has always been to replace the M3 with an EV (way) down the road. But the 3 doesn't do it for me just yet.

As for getting an EV over the GTI, I don't think the 3 has enough hatch/cargo space, does it? I'd have to look into the Y, and that's much more than the GTI.

Even the new GTI idea only works as long as it's "cheap" and has low cost of ownership. I really should be getting a used commuter. But I like GTI's and their resale is crazy high, so I can make a solid pitch that a new one is not crazy.
The 3 Performance is, IMHO, one of the greatest performance bargains out there, but it's still nearly 2X the cost of a GTI, so I'm not actually suggesting you do that instead of the GTI. Your mention of the 50-70 passing time just triggered my memory of that CD article.

As for space...you'd be surprised. The Model 3 has a deceptively huge cargo capacity. As an example, I could take both kids, my wife, and two full size steamer trunks to camp in the Model 3, with some room to spare--there's no way that load could have fit into the Golf or even the BMW.

It doesn't have a hatch, so if you're looking to carry big, awkwardly shaped things it's not ideal. But the combination of a wide, deep trunk and the frunk mean it carries way more than anything in the same size class.

The Golf that I had didn't have a huge amount of cargo room. I've read that the Rs lose a few inches in vertical height b/c of the AWD system, but I haven't looked into the hatch of a GTI recently. Certainly plenty to be usable, but packing the Golf for a trip for four people was always a challenge in a way that it never was with the Tesla.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote