Thread: cars for kids
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #53
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I came to terms with a guy today on a 181k mile 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6.

The one slight concern is that there's a bit of oil film on the pan and the front of the engine. Looks like it may be coming out somewhere near the top. Looks like a couple common-ish things it could be that are all pretty cheap and easy to take care of. Could be worse, or multiple leaks, though. But it's also a cheap 181k mile car, so... <shrug> OTOH, there were no oil stains in the driveway or on the street in front of the house. The garage had enough stuff that looked undisturbed that my guess is they haven't parked a car in there in many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Congrats. Guess you only need it to last a couple years and another ~20k miles, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
That's the goal.
Two year update...

Mileage is up to 205k. I've put about $4k into it in maintenance, repairs, alignments and tires. That's about on track for what I was hoping best case of $2k/year. The alignments and tires were not related to the car, so it could have been cheaper, but, well, I'm sure you understand.

Still drives great (when it doesn't need another alignment). My older daughter was the exclusive driver for a few months, then she split it with my younger daughter for a few months until we got the E46, and it's been my older daughter's since. She's done a lot of round trips from DC to southwestern VA and DC to near Pittsburgh. Through all that, adding about 25k miles.

The "bit of oil film" is more of a concern now. My daughter took the car with her to school in the fall, but moved back in right after xmas. The other day, she told me that it's making some noises at start up and sometimes while idling. her description sounded like a belt. When I looked it, there was I would describe as a slight puddle of oil near the dipstick area. I looked at the driveway under the car and there's a decent sized stain. Its last oil change was early October. Last I checked the oil was after Thanksgiving and it was down about a quart, so I added one. When I checked this time, it was down another quart.

It goes to the night drop at the shop tonight and will see what they say in the morning.

The other current issue, which is a big issue for my daughter, is that around New Year's the clock jumped ahead an hour and cannot be corrected. Apparently, 7th and 8th gen Accords with nav have a Y2K22 problem:

From another forum:
“It hasn’t been in the news much but yesterday the date was written by many computers as 2201010001 (YYMMDDHHMM).” said this 2007 Honda CR-V owner.
“Many older computers that store the date this way cannot handle any number bigger than 2147483647, so as soon as the year began with a 22, it fails and can no longer register the date/time correctly.“

There may be a workaround of disconnecting the battery at 12:40, reconnecting after 15 minutes, entering the satellite and radio codes and hopefully finishing at 1:00 which is also the default unset time they use. Another possible work around could be disconnecting the GPS antenna.

Anyway, I'm a little concerned about the oil leak, but maybe it's not too bad.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote