View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Have been seeing some interesting numbers on the Fiat. I run stock 16" wheels with the stock Pirelli P7 All Seasons, 195/45-16, in the winter. And the optional 17" rims with Pirelli P Zero Nero (Max Performance on Tire Rack), 205/40-17, tires for the summer.

I have been exclusively driving it, and with a pretty consistent mix of highway and city.

The All Season tires gave a combined gas mileage of around 35 - 36 MPG.

Going to the Summer tires dropped that to under 30 MPG. Then I checked the tire pressures and found them around 30 psi, versus my normal 40. After getting them back up, I am seeing around 32 MPG combined.

So around 10% difference between the summer and winter tires. And around 6.5% difference for tire pressure change of 10 psi.

I had not thought that the tire difference would be that big of a change in gas mileage.

Just thought I would share.
It's interesting that Pirelli makes both a P Zero Nero summer and all-season tire. The all-seasons that came stock on my Golf were also labeled as P Zero Neros.

They were reasonably good tires, though they ended up with noticeable dry rot after less than 4 years and about 25K miles. They still had decent tread depth at that point but were noisier than hell on the highway. Recently replaced them with Pilot Sport AS 3+; we'll see how those do.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote