View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #16
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Documentation fee?

What is this? You have to pay them to do their job?
Do any dealers not generally charge a documentation fee any more? But to answer your question, basically, yes. They should be paying for the services/actions they cover through the car's purchase price. The problem is that if they say they charge everyone and they do, if they don't charge you, they open themselves up to lawsuits from everyone that paid. I have no idea how much merit there is to that (one of he law talking people might be able to speak to it better than me), but there can still be ways around it. One car (the RX-8, I think), they would have let me walk over it when I feigned ignorance of that as an additional charge. We got through it by them dropping the price of the car by an equal amount. Even so, I've always negotiated the prices of the cars with that charge in mind. If they'd called my bluff when I threatened to walk on the RX-8, I still would have been happy with my total cost. Instead I saved $150 (or $250 or $300? I can't remember) off the price I was already happy with.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote