View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I just pulled out my winter wheels and hole f*ck. They're black and yellow from brake dust. Soap suds and a brush did nothing. They look ridiculous.
You're supposed to clean them BEFORE you put them away.

Seriously, mine get cleaned when they come off, since they need to go in "Tire Totes" and then under one of those giant tire-stack condoms.

Quote:
What cleaner to people recommend for this level of carnage? The spokes are bad enough, but the rim itself is thick black. I know clay works but it's so thick I need to clean the top layers off first.
I use the BMW wheel cleaner (the round brown bottle, not the new "Windex bottle", though that's supposed to be the same stuff) and BMW brushes. I have some sort of large flat Oxo brush that I use on the rim itself and the face of the spokes. I use the BMW big curved brush for the sides of the rims and the "archaeologist's brush" from the BMW set for the lug holes. I don't use the little conical BMW brush.

There are other cleaners that promise to be more gentle - as long as you rinse the wheel with clear water when done, the BMW cleaner seems to be fine for (at least) BMW and Team Dynamics brand wheels. Though the BMW ones need to get beaten into shape by Wheel Collision every couple years from Joisey potholes.

Reply if you need the BMW part numbers.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote