View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #1666
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
The Tesla is sold… Long live the Tesla!

I sold the Model S to CarMax last night. Couple last thoughts:

- This was the best car I've ever had. It was super flexible (great for hauling things), fantastic on road trips, good to drive, and it never stranded me. I had relatively few problems with it -- especially after the first year. I still can't believe how great it was as the first ground-up design from a startup company. Overall problems were pretty minimal.

- Driving it for the last couple times yesterday, it felt huge and heavy compared to the Model 3. It is a huge and heavy car -- probably its only faults. After driving the 3 with the low cowl, the S dash also felt very tall and almost claustrophobic (ironic since the S was such an open design when it came out -- and I hated sitting in other cars afterword).

- Odometer was at 93,360, and I owned it for just over 5 years and 3 months. That's more than 50k miles higher and 18 months longer than any previous car. The next longest was the E46, which had about 42k miles over ~3.75 years.

- The CarMax offer was very reasonable. I ran one last Edmunds pricing report on it -- and CarMax's offer was about $1k above the trade-in value from Edmunds. It was also $3.4k higher than Tesla's trade-in offer, which only had ~$1.6k of sales tax value. I probably could have sold it privately for another $2-3k, but I really just didn't want to hassle with that.