View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post

You are thinking more along the lines of the financial sense of it but we are all car enthusiasts and the type of cars a lot of us buy involve a lot of emotion on our part other wise we'd all be driving Camry's.

On a financial standpoint you are absolutely right and the way you buy your cars is smart but some people like new cars with me being one of them, nothing is like getting a brand new car.
But then you're scratching a different itch - a "new car" is new for about three or four months, then the psychological pleasure of that part of it goes away ( I just learned that in one of my "great courses" brain studies CD's )

I still overpaid for my ZHP vert, but I shelled out just under 10 grand less on a car that stickered for over 50k only four months after it had been sold initially - It had 2000 miles on it. With more mileage and two or three years of depreciation, the "used" car becomes an even better value - if there is such a thing as "value" with cars. Plus, you can often buy trim lines and options that are absorbed into the depreciated price in a way not possible when buying new.

Different strokes, but for me, brand new is no longer my first choice.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote