Thread: Dial 911
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #966
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Net net, to me the 993TT is a rare 911 because it’s not overrated. It’s timeless. Most of the other cars are seriously underwhelming. And I think this hives with equ’s point.
I never drove a pre-1988 911 so am not familiar with the lighter ones.

And the 993TT never entered my discussion, I completely agree, its power and hips elevate it above the norm. The numbers mean it will always remain valuable. I'm pretty sure a dollop of torque would change the drive for the better, especially on the street.

I didn't want to get into the GTS discussion.. I'm interested (not as a buyer but positive on) the 718 GTS. I haven't driven a 991 GTS, so no comment on that but not a fan of center-lock wheels. As for the 981, I drove several before I bought my S. The main advantage was being able to find several performance options bundled on the same car. The +10hp is not noticeable, the torque number is about the same. I preferred the cleaner sound of the S over the 981 GTS which on top of the crackles you mention, actually had a boomy sound symposer somewhere in the cabin... Probably deletable.

Having had 987.1, 987.2 and 981, I can comfortably say that on exhaust sound the 981 is better than the other two... The 987.1 was quite all right. The 987.2 was too quiet, I needed a slip-on and I'm not a harley guy. The 981 is great without PSE. Mine happens to have PSE, I generally don't put it on. If I go into or 'sport' or 'sport plus', I have to press the PSE button to turn it off and avoid the fake gunshots.
- Normal (all buttons off - not much wrong with this, car still sounds good)
- Normal & PSE (this adds a nice tone if top is down, boomy with it up)
- Sport or Sport+ & PSE (machine gun fire - unusable)
- For hard driving, best is Sport+ and then PSE off. Sport and Sport+ sharpen throttle, add steering weight, increase idle, do something with engine mounts, change exhaust tone - even with PSE off. Sport+ adds the firmer damping.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote