Thread: I'm bored
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #63
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So you're the only person I know who has bought one of these. Can you explain to me what the appeal is? Not the appeal of a stationary bike in general, but the Peloton specifically? It seems bonkers expensive to me, and is obviously marketed towards a very well-off clientele, but I genuinely don't understand what the purpose of it is above and beyond just a bike trainer.
I had a stationary bike (like a spin bike) which I was using pretty much every day, but the thing about the Peloton is that it a) gives you metrics by which you can easily measure your workouts, and more importantly b) it provides you with a means to challenge yourself and hold yourself accountable.

If that challenge/accountability thing isn't necessary or useful for you because you have the discipline to do it on your own, the Peloton is unnecessary and a waste of money. For me, though, I've found that my efforts and workouts are a lot harder/more efficient with the Peloton than they were with the stationary bike.

I generally prefer real biking, and would rather actually get out and ride than sit in the basement. But the Peloton gives you a way to stay in shape when the weather's bad, or to do 20 or 45 min during the week, rather than taking the 2+ hours you need to get a good ride in.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote