View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #23
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I bought mine with 27k, nearly 4 years ago. Now at 41k. Normal maintenance has been reasonable. Driven sanely, this car does not eat tires or brakes.

Big ticket items have been (indie prices):

Valve adjust: $400
Dinan exhaust purchase, ship & install: $1000
Vanos hubs broken. Dr. Vanos/Beisan solution: $1800 (MaxPSI)
Coils & plugs: $550 - 600 (but I bought amazon parts for the mechanic to save $)
SSK & install: $650 or so

Subframe inspected at 15k miles, at 21k miles at dealerships and at around 35k miles by Max PSI, checked out every time.

The two real breakdowns were Vanos & the coils/plugs, with similar symptoms. Latter more annoying than breakdown. It turns out there was a recall, but previous owners missed it as they were not driving the car up to normal mileage. In both cases, car limped to the mechanic, no tow, though I may have risked engine damage & gotten lucky in the first case.

There are odd little things. Door locks seem weak occasionally, trunk lid struts, on and on, but those don't really count.
not sure if that sounds reliable considering you put only 14k miles on it and it has 41k miles total Guess you technically said reasonable not reliable but I am reading that as the same
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote