View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #2196
robg
Carmudgeon

Notable car sighting thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Why? I talked with the Jaguar Land Rover reps this evening and mentioned that I put over 93k miles on a Model S, including over 20k in road trips. Solving for the road trip problem solves the EV problem. Most charging happens at home, but it’s the 10-20% of the time use cases that need to be solved for people to accept them as a daily driver.

Anyway, I asked if they could let me know when I could drive one. Sounds like a couple months before the dealers near me will have any.

They also touted that a DC charge would take 90 mins. I told them that I DC charged over 150 times for my Model S, with an average charging stop of 45 min and they need to do better...

In the short run, yes, I agree that Tesla’s approach has helped increase acceptance/adoption of EVs. But as EVs become more mainstream I don’t think any of us want a scenario where every car company has their own proprietary charging network. Perhaps Porsche and others will do what they’ve started to do in Europe and build out a network of CCS chargers that will work with a variety of EVs

https://electrek.co/2018/07/11/porsc...-station-grid/
robg is offline   Reply With Quote