Thread: Chevy Colorado
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #34
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
300 mile update: So far I'm really liking the truck.

It's reasonably quite and pleasant to drive. The z71 package gives you shocks and all-terrain tires that produce pretty spongy steering, but it's a truck so somehow I'm OK with that.

The steering is overboosted and the ride isn't the smoothest over bumps (although not terrible either)... but it's a truck so somehow I'm OK with that.

At my parents house I had a chance to drive around on some rough terrain and use the truck to steal some of their firewood that I had just split. It was fun. I'm loving that I can finally move shit around without having to ask for help or rent a vehicle. It's liberating.

And this morning I drove in 5" of unplowed snow. In RWD the truck was useless, but in 4-high it was great. Even with no weight in the back, and with all-season / all terrain tires, it was completely stable in turns and while accelerating.

The interior is pretty econobox, but so far it isn't bothering me. I was tempted to get the GMC instead but it didn't have the same incentives so was 3k more expensive. And somehow it just felt like putting lipstick on a pig. If I'm getting a chevy, I'll just take the chevy.

The seats are pretty mediocre and a complaint of a lot of owners. I got the leather seats because they have less of a bulge around the edge of the seat bottom that makes people's legs fall asleep (including mine). That and the base seats look like garbage. The leather seats are flat and firm but they actually work reasonably well for me. Except the complete lack of side bolstering. Every corner I feel like I'm going to slide off the seat sideways.

Android auto is great. It's buggy but I'm sure they'll work that out. I want it in any new car I buy moving forward. Add this to the list of bad decisions being made by BMW (they don't offer it.)

The paint is "Graphite Metallic" which I was hoping was a dark gray. It turns out it has a significant green tint to it and it's darker than I suspected. It basically looks green during the day and black at night. Oh well.

When buying I was considering buying a big old rusty full-sizer to sit out in the driveway as a 3rd vehicle. But I was tired of having more cars than garage space and my insurance bill has been pissing me off. So I decided a new Colorado would play the role of both a) winter car and b) truck-stuff. So far I'm thinking that decision might work out.

Last edited by rumatt; 04-02-2018 at 11:32 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote