Thread: ceramic coating
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #23
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
People installing PPF on high end cars for a living are usually not random shmoes with the shakes using boxcutters. They are skilled, use the right equipment, rarely nick the paint, and are usually up front with you about it when they do (and will compensate you or assist in repairs).

What worries you about removing lights, bumpers, etc? It's not just to avoid visible seams, but to ensure proper coverage and decent wear. If the panel edges aren't wrapped properly, there's a good chance it will peel, give you air pockets, collect dirt, and/or otherwise look shoddy in short order.

All the things you're worried about are things to worry about when you "know a guy" that can "do it cheaper." If you do research and focus on quality and check references, you should be fine.
I am the type pretty much like anyone here who will research the heck out of a place if doing this kind of work to my car but I have read some horror stories on Rennlist about brand new 911's being done at what the owners thought were a reputable place and ending up with cut marks on the paint ... I totally agree with you on getting the panel edges done property I just don't like people taking apart my cars. I think of it like this, the car is as perfect as it is going to be, removing parts can only end up doing damage at the worst while at the best hopefully no damage is done.

Even looking at a simple thing like removing a wheel, just check around the lugnuts and there is always some type of scratch in the lugnut area no matter how careful you ask them to be.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote