View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Easily could have been a strip of nail gun nails that were lying flat on the road -- so didn't go into the front tire, but instead were kicked up and punctured the rear.

I've had a couple unusual tire punctures from things on the road -- all 3 were on the driver's side rear, and all 3 required replacing the tire:
- In the Boxster, the rear tire had a paint scraper blade get embedded in tire, near the edge. Was easily a 2.5 inch tear. I remember hearing something when I was on the freeway on the way to work one morning -- but didn't realize I had a puncture until I got to the office and heard the hiss when I got out of the car. I actually drove on it for 2 days while waiting for the replacement tire to come in (neither CostCo or Discount Tire had one in stock) -- just put air in the tire before each drive -- the leak was slow enough that it would only lose a couple psi over a 30 min drive...

- In the Model S, an AA battery punctured the rear tire. Don't remember when it happened, but I noticed a very slow leak. Think it was in the car for a week or so before I noticed the slow leak...

- Also in the Model S, I somehow got a cactus thorn in the sidewall (talk about Arizona problems...). Not sure how, but it also caused a slow leak that required the tire to be replaced.